Guide to Happy Plants-Safe Planting

From Energex

  • When mature, trees should not grow to within 2 metres of powerlines, that is, the powerline from the street to your home and the powerlines that run along your street or in easements (top right)
  • Before planting on Energex easements always contact Energex on 13 12 53 to check if there are any special planting requirements.
  • If you want to plant taller plants, apply the 45 degree rule: Plant at a distance from the powerline at least equal to the expected mature height of the plant (bottom right)
  • Do not plant climbing trees or plants near the base of power poles. They can grow up into the lines and pose a safety risk or interrupt electricity supply.

Brisbane City Council - Street Trees

Description of the types of trees the council plants along our roads and streets is listed below:

Trees suitable for under powerlines

Golden penda (Xanthostemon chrysanthus)
Kaffir bean (Schotia brachypetala)
Pink bottlebrush (Callistemon "Eureka")
Poinciana (Delonix regia)
Silver trumpet tree (Tabebuia argentea)
White oak (Grevillea baileyana)

Ivory Curl Flower (Buckinghamia celsissima)
Native wisteria tree (Pongamia pinnata)
Pink trumpet tree (Tabebuia palmerii)
Queensland pittosporum (Pittosporum rhombifolium)
Tulipwood (Harpullia pendula)

Trees suitable for other places

Broad leaved paperbark (Melaleuca quinquinervia)
Bumpy Ash (Flindersia schottiana)
Crows Ash (Flindersia australis)
Pink trumpet tree (Tabebuia rosea)
Tuckeroo (Cupaniopsis anacardioides)
Weeping satinash (Waterhousea floribunda)

Brush box (Lophostemon confertus)
Cassod tree (Cassia siamea)
Leopard tree (Caesalpinea ferrea)
Small leaved lilly pilly (Syzygium leuhmanii)
Weeping paperbark (Melaleuca leucadendron)
Yellow poinciana (Peltophorum pterocarpum)

Trees which require footpath planting width of 4.5m or greater (more than 1.5m clearance from kerb or footpath strip)

Jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia)

Poinciana (Delonix regia)

Contact information:

For more information send us an email or contact your local council.